Olense Kartoenale Annual Cartoon Contest Olen /Belgium 2019
Annual Cartoon Contest – Rules and regulation 2019
All contestants will be admitted with no distinction made regarding nationality or age. There are two categories:
• Youth category up to 15 years inclusive;
• Adult category: 16 years and older.
Both professional and non-professional cartoonists are allowed to participate in this contest.
The main theme is ‘From bovine to handbag, from ox to leather pants, from cow to elegant shoe’. This year Amnesty International offers the best cartoon with the theme ‘People and ideas behind bars’ a special prize.
More information about the main theme is to be found in annex to this regulation.
• Contributions have to be digital works. They shouldn’t contain an explanation of the drawing.
• The digital works have to be sent in JPEG format with a minimum of resolution of 300 dpi (2480 x 3543 pixels).
• Dimensions including any passe-partout 21 x 30 cm (A4).
• Number of entries per contestant: maximum five for each theme.
• You have to record your contact details through www.olensekartoenale.be.
• You can sign up your participation from 1 July 2019.
• The originals of the rewarded cartoons and your curriculum vitae will be asked and must be sent to
within 2 days after the request of the organization.
4. Property rights
Prize-winning works will become the property of the organizer or theme sponsor.
All works selected may be used by the organizers to promote the contest and the village of Olen.
The jury consists of artists, cartoonists and laymen. Decisions made by the jury cannot be challenged.
6. Catalogue/Cartoon book
Selected works will be considered for inclusion in a catalogue. The authors of these works will
receive a free copy of the catalogue during the prize ceremony or it will be send afterwards by mail.
7. Deadline: 21 September 2019
The deadline is 21 September 2019 at 12.00 AM midnight. The entry form you can find on www.olensekartoenale.be where you also can upload your works.
For the adult category:
1st prize: 1500 euro
2nd prize: 700 euro
3rd prize: 400 euro
4th prize: 300 euro
Prize of the city of Bialogard (only for Polish participants): 200 euro
Special prize Amnesty International: 350 euro
For the youth category:
Prize for best international work: 250 euro
Prize for best Belgian work: 250 euro
9. Prize Ceremony and Exhibition
The prize ceremony will take place at Friday 15 November 2019 at approximately 20.00 h in the council room of the town hall of Olen,
Dorp 1, 2250 Olen. Every participating artist will be welcome on that occasion. Only the winners are personally invited.
A selection of the cartoons will also be exhibited at the same address and can be visited:
• Sunday 17 November 2019
• All working days from Monday 18 November 2019 till the end of December 2019 during the opening hours of the town hall:
o Monday 09.00 u – 12.00 u13.00 u – 16.00 u17.30 u – 20.00 u
o Tuesday 09.00 u – 12.00 u
o Wednesday 09.00 u – 12.00 u13.00 u – 16.00 u
o Thursday 09.00 u – 12.00 u
o Friday 09.00 u – 12.00 u
Main theme: From bovine to haag, from ox to leathe pants, from cow to elegant shoe
The Belgian company Sopraco is an important distributor of veal and beef in Europe. This company delivers meat for wholesale, retail, butcheries and catering industry.
Recently Sopraco has been specialising in upgrading the skins of cows and bovines to manufacture leather. Bovines used to produce veal predominantly are male animals from dairy farms.
Next to nothing gets lost in this process of meat production. Even the animal’s skin is being transformed to a fine product: leather.
Explicit images are not welcome.
Theme Amnesty International: ‘People and idias behind bars
Sitting behind bars, what does that mean to you?
How difficult is it being alone in a cell or with others?
Your thoughts and dreams are they shakled as well?
Is time a gift, an opportunity for reflection or rather a curse?
Are there despite the confinement still positive aspects to this experience?
Is art an option, a voice, a release?